No matter how much we love our furry friends, no one enjoys cleaning up their bathroom accidents inside – especially when it’s on beautiful carpet flooring! It’s important to thoroughly clean up pet messes to not only maintain the beauty of your carpet, but also to train your pet to not return to this space for a bathroom spot. If your pet can smell its personal odor in the area, it will continue to return to mark it. So, it’s of the utmost importance to completely clean the area, and not just any carpet cleaner will do. An enzyme-based pet stain product, such as those listed below, are specifically formulated to completely eliminate pet stains and odors. Next time Fido has to go and doesn’t make it outside, try these products to clean up the mess on your carpet:
- Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. Stain & Odor Eliminator: The #1 best seller on Amazon for the “small animal odor & stain removers” category, this professional strength bio-enzymatic formula is environmentally friendly and can also be used to freshen up pet bedding, travel crates and litter boxes. It received 4.6 out of 5 stars for reviews on Amazon.
- Bubba’s Rowdy Friends Pet Stain & Urine Eliminator: This veterinarian-recommended product removes even “bubba sized” odors and stains from carpet, but can also be used on upholstery and wood floors. It received 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- Nature’s Miracle Stain & Odor Remover: The bio-enzymatic formula in this product works specifically to react to organic stain and odor matter, while leaving behind a light, clean scent. Be sure to let Nature’s Miracle work all the way into the carpet pads and subfloors and dry naturally – this could take up to two weeks, according to their website. This product received 4.2 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
- PetSeer Stain & Odor Eliminator: The self-proclaimed “new generation of pet urine remover” contains an advanced bio-enzymatic formula with specific strains of natural bacteria and odor counteractant to eliminate stains and neutralize odor. This product received 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
When cleaning pet stains from your carpet, be sure to avoid the following:
- Cleaning chemicals: Cleaning agents with strong odors, such as ammonia or vinegar, may cover the scent of the urine for you – but not for your pet. According to the Humane Society, using these strong odors could actually encourage your pet to reinforce the urine scent mark.
- Steam cleaners: The heat of steam cleaners can bond the protein of urine to man-made fibers in the carpet, permanently setting the stain and the odor.
- Waiting until it’s too late: If you have a young pet that’s not yet housebroken, an older pet that has trouble getting out in time, or a pet you know is prone to accidents inside, don’t wait until an accident happens to figure out how to clean up. Make sure you have everything you need on hand for when accidents occur! This includes not only an enzyme-based cleaner, such as those listed above, but also plenty of newspaper, paper towels and a wet vac if you anticipate heavy cleaning.
Proper cleaning of pet accidents can ensure not only that a specific stain is removed from your carpet, but if done properly, will also ensure that your pet won’t be tempted to use it as a bathroom spot again! You love your beautiful carpet, so be sure to clean it thoroughly, and contact your local flooring professional with any questions about carpet cleaning and maintenance.