At the Haines Loyalty Club in May, I got to observe a new application of adhesive from TEC, TEC RollFast. TEC RollFastTM Vinyl Flooring Adhesive allows you ease of use, to roll through flooring installations fast and effectively. This unique formulation dries very quickly, has excellent resistance to moisture and alkali, provides a long open time, is easy to clean up and low-odor.
- Ideal for LVT, LVP and solid vinyl heterogeneous or homogeneous sheet goods
- Resists flooring indentations and de-bonding from displacement of adhesive under heavy rolling loads.
- Roller-applied adhesive allows installer to roll the adhesive onto the substrate efficiently
- Fast drying; accepts flooring in 10-15 minutes
- Moisture and alkali resistant up to 95% RH / 10 lbs. Calcium Chloride and 7-11 pH
- Extended working time (6-8 hours)
- Heat weld after 60 minutes
- Solvent free and low VOC (VOC <1 g/L)
- LEED® Compliant and CRI Green Label Plus Certified
- Available in 4 gallon plastic pail & 1 gallon plastic jug
What really turned me onto this adhesive was the;
- Ease of application, roller applied
- Fast Dry time, 10-15 minutes
- After 10-15 minutes dry time and adhesive is dry to touch, I have 6-8 hours of open time to install my
- Good for slabs concrete slabs up to 95% Relative Humidity
- I can Heat Weld flooring after 60 minutes
- Great for under heavy rolling loads
Recommended Roller Size
1/4″ Nap Roller
350-450 ft /US Gallon
3/8″ Nap Roller**
300-350 ft /US Gallon
** For stiff, heavy vinyl flooring a 3/8″ Nap Roller may be required (for more information contact Technical Services).
Check out the video on TEC RollFast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xUHMOODaV4
Haines item #TEC7188705011 for 1 gallon container & item # TEC7188701311 for 4 gallon container.
LVP & LVT Adhesive
Looking for an adhesive to aggressively lock down LVP & LVT Flooring, especially in areas with direct sunlight? Check out the Flexco MS700. MS-700 is a premium, one component modified silane adhesive used for the permanent installation of vinyl & rubber flooring products, including recycled or crumb rubber flooring products. MS-700 is free of water, solvents, and VOC’s. MS-700 can be installed over porous and non-porous substrates in indoor and outdoor applications, allowing for the installation of flooring materials in entrances or areas that are not temperature controlled. MS-700 is highly tenacious, waterproof and extremely resistant to
high levels of moisture and alkalinity, whether topical or from the substrate. Adhesive is suitable for heavy traffic or rolling loads. Haines item # FLE3EX700 http://excelsiorproducts.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Excelsior_MS-700_DataSheet.pdf
Another product that has caught my interest is Detach II Flooring Remover from Parabond. I am often asked what to do with old adhesive residue that is not compatible with the new adhesive. DETACH II is a concentrated solution which when mixed with water and applied to most floor covering quickly and effectively breaks down the adhesive bond allowing for easy removal and disposal. DETACH softens the adhesive (aqueous latex based) remaining on the substrate for easy removal. DETACH is virtually odorless. After using DETACH, the surface can be rinsed with clean water to remove any deposits left behind or if the substrate is sufficiently clean, the substrate can be left to dry completely. DETACH will not negatively impact the adhesion of the re-installation if allowed to dry completely. Haines item #PCADETACHG for 1 gallon & item #PCADETACH4GAL for a 4 gallon container. Here is the link to the Tech Data Sheet; http://www.royaladhesives.com/Files/Parabond/Detach_112420132.pdf
Every week I receive several calls on how can I get dried urethane adhesive off the hardwood floor I installed? For this reason, I have been pushing the use of the Modified-Silane Adhesives for the simple fact that if this adhesive dries on the face of the hardwood, I can peel or scape it off months later and not affect the face of the hardwood. Haines sells several of these adhesives;
- Bostik GreenForce (item#BOSG682504GL) & UltraStep SingleStep (item #BOSG69830SSF)
- DriTac 7700 (item #DRI77004P) & 7800 (item#DRI78004)
- Mapei 983 (item #MAP1942515) & 985 (item#MAP98664)
- Parabond 3016 (item #PCA301635)
- Taylor RidgeLine (item #WFTRIDGELINE4)
Other New Adhesives and Products
Bostik Climb Hardwood Wall Plank & Tread Cap Adhesive is a one-component, easy gunning, non-sag adhesive that is specifically formulated for hardwood flooring, planks and blocks on interior walls and installation of stair tread caps. The Climb formula has superior green grab (grab strength while wet) and cures quickly to form a tenacious bond. Once cured, Climb remains tough yet flexible for extreme durability, helps reduce stair squeaking, and reduces the sound of footsteps on the stairs. This specialty formulation is also easy to clean off of flooring, prefinished tread caps and risers even after cure. Climb has 0% solvents and low odor. Haines item#BOSG78500CLM.
Areas of Use
New Construction, Remodel, Residential, Offices/Light Commercial, Heavy Commercial, Offices, Hospital, Multifamily, and High-rise
Plywood, OSB, Existing Hardwood Treads (sanded), Concrete (vertical)
Stair Tread Types
Solid Hardwood Tread Cap or Riser, Engineered Hardwood Tread Cap or Riser, Bamboo Tread Cap or Riser, and HDF Tread Cap or Riser
DriTac Flooring Products is introducing a line of eco-friendly flooring underlayment; DriTac 8301 Impact 1mm for resilient flooring installations and DriTac 8302 Double Impact 2mm for wood and laminate flooring installations.
DriTac 8301 Impact is a 1mm underlayment designed for with LVT, LVP, Carpet Tile, WPC, and Cork Tile in Residential and Commercial applications. Acoustical ratings for Impact: IIC 71; STC 67; Delta 21.Use DriTac 5700 StrongBond “Green” Pressure Sensitive Flooring Adhesive or DriTac 5900 MegaBond “Green” Pressure Sensitive Flooring Adhesive.
DriTac 8302 Double Impact is a 2mm underlayment for use with hardwood and laminate flooring installations. Acoustical ratings for Double Impact: IIC 73; STC 72; Delta 21. Adhere 8302 Double Impact to subfloor with DriTac 5900 Adhesive. Adhere Wood Flooring to 8302 Double Impact using DriTac7900 Super Grab Premium Urethane Wood Flooring Adhesive.
• Multi-Ply Engineered Plank
• Acrylic Impregnated Wood
• Solid Wood Planks
• Exotic Woods
These lightweight flooring underlayments incorporates DriTac’s Total Sound Reduction System (SRS) complete with a lifetime warranty when used in conjunction with approved DriTac flooring adhesives in ‘double-stick’ applications. DriTac’s SRS was developed with dual force, silent-fuse technology affording customers a superior sound abatement system covered by a single company warranty.
DriTac 8301 Impact and DriTac 8302 Double Impact are technologically advanced underlayments that grant exceptional sound control properties with a safeguard seaming system and built-in vapor barrier for residential and commercial flooring applications. Both products allow industry leading foot fall performance with anti- crush technology constructed to attain a cushioned, quiet and comfortable flooring system.
MAPEI Ultrabond ECO 373 is a super-aggressive, pressure-sensitive adhesive that is designed for the installation of a wide variety of resilient flooring types. Ultrabond ECO 373 has been specifically formulated to provide extended working time and can be applied using a trowel or roller, depending on the level of tack that is required for the flooring that is being installed. Approved for use with luxury vinyl tile and luxury vinyl plank, vinyl enhanced tile, quartz tile, bio-based tile, fiberglass-reinforced vinyl sheet flooring, solid vinyl sheet flooring, reground rubber underlayment, cork underlayment, vinyl- and polyolefin-backed carpet tile
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• Dries quickly with super-aggressive tack properties
• Up to 12 hours of working time making ideal for the installation luxury vinyl plank and tile. • Apply using either a trowel or roller, depending on flooring type
MAPEI Flexcolor 3D ready-to-Use, Translucent Grout with an “Iridescent Effect” Finish. MAPEI Flexcolor 3D is a professional-grade, ready-to-use (RTU) translucent specialty grout with an “iridescent effect” finish,
providing a perfect complementary look for your tile project. The product is offered in 10 different designs with translucent characteristics that not only reflect but also refract light. This allows the grout to transition in color to complement the glass tile color.
MAPEI Flexcolor 3D is also formulated for commercial and residential installations with porcelain, ceramic, glass and natural-stone tiles. MAPEI Flexcolor 3D can be used to grout interior tile. Plus, the dense surface structure of the grout helps to prevent water-based stains on the grout surface. MAPEI Flexcolor 3D is formulated with the latest innovation in recycled glass bead aggregate, which ensures color consistency, ease of cleanability and improved workability. In addition, this grout can be used on sensitive tile surfaces once tested, requires no sealer and cures naturally from evaporation.
MAPEI Planiseal MSP- Adhesive Isolator, Sealer, pH Blocker and Primer (launch early Summer 2017) Planiseal MSP is a single component, two-coat, high-solids, polymer-based adhesive isolator, sealer, moisture control membrane and self-leveling primer. Planiseal MSP protects flooring installations against subfloor moisture and pH in concrete slabs with moisture vapor emission rates (MVERs) up to 15 lbs. per ASTM F1896, relative humidity (RH) up to 99% per ASTM F2170 and alkalinity protection up to pH of 12. Planiseal MSP eliminates the need for a secondary primer for self-leveling applications.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• Colored red to help ensure proper coverage
• Water-based formulation for ease of use, cleanup and storage
• Moisture protection up to 15 lbs. MVER and 99% RH
• Provides moisture control, adhesive encapsulation and primer for self-leveling compounds in one product
MAPEI Ultraflex LHT is a professional grade non-sag large-and-heavy-tile mortar (formerly known as “medium-bed mortar”) and thin-set mortar for large-format and heavy tile and stone for interior/exterior installations on floors, walls and countertops. This polymer-modified mortar is formulated with Easy Glide TechnologyTM for ease of application with excellent adhesion to the substrate and tile.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• Polymer-enriched for high performance
• Nonsag formula for large-format and heavy tile and stone in wall applications
• Nonslump for large-format and heavy tile and stone in floor applications. For bond coats up to 1/2″ in embedded thickness.
• Smooth and creamy consistency makes it easy to apply.
• Approved for use with plywood
MAPEI Mapeguard UM is a premium-performance, lightweight, waterproofing and vapor pressure-equalizing underlayment membrane that provides crack suppression for use under ceramic tile and stone installations, for both residential and commercial applications. It is designed to perform over challenging substrates, such as young concrete and single-layer 3/4″ plywood subfloors with joist spacing of up to 19.2″ on center. The unique engineered tri-layered design of Mapeguard UM absorbs lateral stress from the substrate without transferring this force to the tile or stone, which maintains exceptional bonds.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• Prevents transmission of in-plane substrate cracks up to 1/8″
• Recommended for use with polymer-modified mortars
• Fast Track Ready: Approved for use over young (green) concrete and mortar beds
• Time-saving: Embed membrane then install tile immediately
• Engineered cavity design allows easy single-pass filling of surface core with less mortar
• Uncoupling, waterproofing and water vapor membrane up to 25 lbs. MVER and 100% relative humidity • Compression resistance to support rolling loads
• Approved for radiant-heating applications
• Light green, translucent color shows mortar coverage under membrane
• Reduced “roll memory” and unique tri-layer construction keep membrane flat.
• Lightweight for easy handling and fast installation and easy to cut with standard utility knife
• Chalk and laser lines easily visible on surface and mesh-fabric top layer makes it easy to fill cavities with mortar.
One more reason why the HVAC should be up and running in New Construction;
Keeping your home under less controlled conditions can help emit formaldehyde from all products, including hardwood flooring. You can reduce exposure to high levels of formaldehyde by setting indoor temperature and humidity levels to the lowest comfortable levels. Higher temperatures and humidity levels increase off-gassing.
A picture worth a thousand words
So why is my subfloor so wet??? Many thanks to Dave Cima of DriTac for sending this.