If you know that you want comfortable flooring, we’re here to point you in the right direction! Carpets and rugs are obviously the softest underfoot choice, but there can be other benefits to choosing this type of flooring for your home. Things to consider when choosing this type of flooring include foot traffic, design, price, and personal needs. Check out our detailed guide to carpets and rugs below.
Carpet provides a cozy and comfortable atmosphere for any room in your home. It is versatile because there are many options to choose from, including colors, materials, styles, etc. Another added benefit of carpeting is that it provides extra soundproofing and insulation. For many homes, bedrooms are the most popular rooms for wall-to-wall carpeting.
Carpet is produced using different types of fibers and techniques depending on the needs of the buyer. The most popular carpet fibers are:
- Polyester: inexpensive, home-grade, least resilient, good for low traffic rooms
- Nylon: durable, good resilience, color retention, stain & abrasion resistant, long-term wearability
- Polypropylene: less bouncy than nylon, same stain resistance, loop-cut and dense-cut options
- Wool: most expensive, great resilience and strength, treat to repel stains and static
Rugs are another great way to provide additional design to a room, with more added options compared to carpet. An area rug can enhance décor by defining the style in the room, or by simply being an accent. Rugs are easy to use interchangeably depending on the season, or the décor in a room. They are also a great tool to define spaces in a home with an open floor plan. For example, you can put different rugs in the dining room, living room, entryway etc.
Choosing a rug may be more difficult than choosing carpet because of the larger variety of patterns, colors, shapes, etc. Don’t worry, because the Flooring Professionals are here to bring you tips for choosing the right rug to fit your needs. Check out our tips below:
- Bring paint swatches with you when picking out a rug so that you can match the color of your rug to the room it will be going in.
- Measuring your space before you shop is also key to choosing the correct rug. It will save you time and energy running back and forth to the store!
- Set a budget for how much you are willing to spend on a rug for each room (it helps to do some online research beforehand).
- Layer rugs on top of neutral carpeting for a luxurious feel. If you are placing a rug overtop of a hard flooring material, you can easily create your rug from the same carpet you have in another room.